Tuesday 20 November 2012

Task 5a


It’s been a while since I actually attempted one of these tasks. The reader has asked me to talk about the professional ethics of my professional practice – Chickenshed. I was just about to start researching when I read that no research was needed for this one. All that is required is individual thought… upon reading that I fell in love with this task. I am very familiar with my own thoughts, me and them have spent many a long dark winter night together.

In the words of Mr. Crisp “happiness rains down from the sky there.” Of course he was talking about New York City but this quote can be used for the dual purpose here I feel. Chickenshed is sort of like a little world of its own. Located in Southgate it occupies its own parallel dimension where everyone is friendly, everyone has time for one another and people talk as if they are pleased to see you. I know these aren’t “professional ethics” but I believe it is important for me to set the stage as it were.

Chickenshed was started in the early part of the 1970’s by Jo Collins and Mary Ward. They made it their mission to create a place that is completely inclusive – a theatre where everyone can be a part as long as they have a passion for the work. All kinds of people with varying abilities are given the opportunity to do what they love. The building has changed but the ethos, the direction is the same. Chickenshed’s mission in my mind is to cultivate a world where acceptance and seeing the worth in all kinds of people comes naturally. The fact Chickenshed wishes to gather people together to be used to the best of their ability is remarkable. The feeling of unity it creates is awe inspiring and to watch a show there is like seeing the world in a whole new light. It’s a vision of a less judgmental future where people are taught to care more for each other.

The inclusion of everyone could be seen as a major disadvantage but Chickenshed will always do what it can to work everyone in. If the people cannot adapt the material itself will. The inclusion of everyone is more important than the end result, which actually helps to enrich it.  

I remember a couple of years ago there was a little girl trying to sing a song. She has several goes and by the end was so out of time with the music the band must have felt jet lagged. Now, instead of Jo Collins saying “oh, I’m sorry my dear we need to go with someone else”. She said “I’m going to put another symbol in there so the beat is a bit clearer”. This is remarkable it’s not only the patience of the people there but the ability to bend to the needs of others if they so need it. When I had to sing a couple of years ago, Jo must have gone through the song with me about 50 times. Never once did she look remotely bored, or frustrated. Always, with a smile just going over things. These are the ethics Chickenshed live by. As long as you have a passion for not only performing but for other people the world can only get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment